Bass Blog

Michael Hovnanian formerly played bass with an orchestra located in a large midwestern city.

Feel free to email your comments.

Saturday, February 09, 2008

Week 21

The orchestra is playing Ainadamar by Osvaldo Golijov this week. Since the work only calls for 4 bassists and I am not one of them I can without reservation pronounce it a masterpiece. As is often the case when I have a week off, I came down with a nasty case of bronchitis, as if to serve me right.

Anyone interested in hearing my cough ravaged voice and orchestra ravaged bass playing can go to Jason Heath’s blog and check the current edition of his Contrabass Conversations podcast where he was gracious enough to interview The Chicago Bass Ensemble in advance of our concert next week. Fair warning to non-bassists; there is a little bit of a ‘bass geek’ quotient to this. The music clips are after the interview.

Info about the CBE concert can be found here.

Monday
7:30 Ars Viva (Beethoven, Barber, Corigliano)

Tuesday
10:30, 11:30 In-school concerts

Wednesday
off

Thursday
10:30, 12:30, 1:30 In-school concerts

Friday
off

Saturday
off

Sunday
3:30 CBE rehearsal

No comments: